Monday, September 2, 2013

#85 session

I'm noticing very little difference in accommodation between my two eyes when I look into the light tube.  It was a very productive week.  There's not much more to say about the light tube other than that.  I'm probably going to keep using the Alpha Delta filters until Wednesday.  I may even keep using them until I have stereopsis.  I remember that magenta filters are what Heather Essex Thomas used when she gained stereopsis.  Those were the only filters that were ever prescribed to her.  I've noticed that they are particularly effective.  Maybe that's just the power of suggestion.  Regardless, I'll make the decision when the time comes.

Special Tetris went very well, starting with last night.  I did something like four hours of VT yesterday.   I did 1.5 hours of Special Tetris in the morning, and another 1.5 hours before I went to bed.  In the second set of 45 minutes I did, I started noticing a change in the way that I was aligning the pieces.  It was as if the alignment was beginning to be automatic.  It started feeling kind of sticky--especially with vertical alignment.  The horizontal alignment was still quite a bit free to move around.

This morning, I started noticing this 'stickiness' within the first ten minutes of my first 45 minute set.  The alignment is improving quite a bit.  I'm noticing that the energy that I'm putting into making the constant correction is getting to be less and less.  I'm not even particularly tired right now.  Sometimes the alignment of the pieces will get stuck where they're not supposed to be.  I can often tell because I can see the stacked pieces with my left eye very faintly if I pay close attention.  If I see the faint ghost image, then I know I'm not aligned properly so it's a useful feedback.

This is all good news.  These new changes reflect the way that I imagine that a binocularly normal person would see this game.  It's interesting.  Michael Lievens said that he had his brother (who is binocularly normal) try and play this game.  He asked him whether he noticed anything when the falling piece landed.  This is because when the piece lands, you switch from the left eye to the right eye.  In theory, a binocularly normal person shouldn't notice anything except for a change in color of the piece.  The brother said he wasn't sure, but he said that it felt weird.  Then Michael told him to shut one eye.  He said 'oh...'.  That's just funny as hell to me that he didn't even notice that he was playing Special Tetris until he shut an eye.  Anyway, hopefully someday that will be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment