Thursday, December 14, 2023

This is an insane amount of work, but I'm making fast progress

 Yeah, this is a bit painful, and a shit ton of work, but I am moving quickly, which is all I could wish for.  

It's that stretching I'm working on, trying to slide from one eye to another, and keeping both accommodated at the same time.  I find that near the end of the two-hour workouts I have both sides pretty close to fully in-focus.  However, the next day, it's like I have to start from scratch--but there is memory from the last time.  I think I have to just keep doing this, and over time, it will take less and less time to get both sides in focus at the same time.  This really is a bullshit amount of work, but I also understand that's the way it has to be. 

I did get my prescription.  I'll probably have some spectacles sent to me sometime in the next few days. 

Had an interesting conversation with the optometrist.  My reason for going there was to get both eyes equal.  I explained the reason why (I want to get both eyes as equal as possible in terms of refractive index--in case that matters--for vision training.).  Regardless, he recommended a vision therapist, and gave me a recommendation--a woman I actually met and had an evaluation with quite a while ago.  No, I'm not going to dox her.  

Anyway, he did explain that it is uncommon for adults to gain stereopsis.  I told him that I believe it, and that was one of the causes of hesitance of me going forward with vision training with the woman he recommended.  In my visit with her sometime, maybe seven years ago, I asked her a pointed question (I am forward).  I asked her the success rate of her clients.  What percentage of her clients achieved their goals.  She said 100%.  That immediately turned me off, because I knew that it was not possible, and she was lying.  Lying is a huge no-no in my book.  The only possible way her clients' success rate is 100% is if she had one or two clients, and they were very lucky.  

I explained that to him, and he understood.  I also told him about the vision therapist I had around 13 years ago, and explained the situation.  Basically, I did vision therapy for a year, and spent $7,000, and did not achieve my goal: stereopsis.  The vision therapist said she thought we could make good progress if we kept going, but I explained that spending another year of work and another $7,000 for maybe achieving my goals isn't good enough.  I fully understand why she had no problems with it.  She had nothing to lose.  But what about me?  

There is something sleazy about many vision therapists, that's for sure (obviously not all).  And it's sad.  It's the same deal with health professionals.  We'd like to think they're putting us, the patients, first.  Of course, only a child or dunce thinks that.  "Oh, you feel sad sometimes?  Let me prescribe you this SSRI.  No need for evaluation, I can tell you need it.  This is the good stuff here, the supplier who takes me out to fancy dinners and expensive ski trips says it's real good and has no side effects."

No comments:

Post a Comment