Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Back in ketosis

 Damn, I had fallen out of ketosis for a long time without knowing it.  I made a dietary change recently that put me into ketosis--and made me realize that there was a long period of time this year when I thought I was doing keto, but was not, in fact, doing keto.  Main thing to know about keto is that you have to get your macros right, and you have to eat a ton of fat.  If you can manage that, then keto is very easy, and there are huge benefits to it--most important to me is that it facilitates brain health and function.  Another thing to know about keto is that probably 95% of people who think they're doing keto--or that they're on 'keto'--are not in fact doing it.  Doing keto requires knowing what is needed for keto and being deliberate about it.  

For me, the cognitive benefits to keto are the biggest part.  It reduces the need for sleep, improves mental performance, lowers base levels of anxiety, suppresses appetite (and thusly is often used as a strategy for weight loss), lowers inflammation int the body, and particularly relevant to me, it very significantly improves vision.  Bah, just pisses me off because I've done this before.  I've even had similar posts to this in the past where I made a dietary change, which suddenly caused me to realize I had not been doing keto for a long time while thinking I had been.  It's easy to think you're doing keto when you're not.  I barely eat any carbohydrates at all... but if you throw in a giant chicken breast on your salad, that can throw you out of ketosis--if it throws off the carb/protein/fat ratio to enough of an extent.  Oh well... lesson learned.  Hopefully I don't have to learn it again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment