Friday, December 15, 2023

Thank God for VR

 Man, I'm making fast progress.  This is exciting as hell.  Right now the objective markers of progress are not super obvious.   However, in the evening when I go into VR, the subjective markers are very obvious.   It is getting increasingly immersive even while I still have obvious diplopia (I can see two barrels of the M4 rifle I use).  But I am seeing more, and am becoming more of a visual animal.  It's good for morale.  

I did just get back from grocery stores.  Grocery stores are another good thing for gauging progress as they they are designed to be visually stimulating.  I did wander in there, and noticed how bright things are, and noticeably more stimulating.  I am definitely becoming a more visual animal.  

Something struck me funny as I recalled the conversation I had with the optometrist the other day.  He mentioned that it was rare for adults to gain stereopsis.  I fully understand that--and I fully get why it's so rare.  It requires an unbelievable amount of grit and persistence--an amount that the vast bulk of people simply cannot muster.  So... why did he recommend a vision therapist if it's likely that I would not achieve my goals?  heh.  Something stinks about it.  

Another thing that stinks about it is that he said that I would not be able to achieve my goals without a vision therapist.  We'll see about that, won't we.  

No comments:

Post a Comment