Sunday, July 16, 2023

I might have learned something new and important (it is the brain)

Recently I finished a solar-powered cold plunge project that I showed a bit here.  Basically a mini-solar grid I created in my shed, which I hooked up to a large chest freezer that I sealed with caulking, filled with water, and installed a filter and thermostat.  So I have a large water-filled chest freezer that has 35° F water in it all the time.  

You might wonder what the purpose of this is.  Indeed.  

Basically, it's bio-hacking, and inducing my body into a panic state.  This has a lot of cascading biological effects that happen to be very beneficial to one's health and well being.  Another word for it is hormesis

So I start my day with some breathing exercises and push-ups first thing in the morning for about 5-10 minutes.  Then I head to the shed, where I submerge my body into 35° F water for about three minutes.  Then I get out and make myself eggs.  That's really all it takes.  It's super-efficient.  But it does put the body into a state of panic, and effects stay with me all day.  Spiked dopamine, improved mood, cognitive function, it obviously wakes you up nearly instantly, rapid fat loss, increased metabolism, decreased inflammation--there's really a giant list of interesting and beneficial effects.  It's kind of a no-brainer and I wish I had completed this project way sooner. 

One of the things I noticed, is significantly improved vision, especially when walking around in my neighhorhood, I've been very carefully watching and monitoring where my eyes tend to fall when staring straight off into infinity.  This is what has made me notice very significant improvement, and the improvement seems to have happened at the same time I began doing cold plunges.  It's probably related to either increased dopamine, or decreased inflammation in the brain.  We'll see how it goes.  I wonder if this is the last thing I needed.  We'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment