Sunday, October 15, 2023

Ok, wow. Making a lot of progress as of late.

 I haven't been doing any vision therapy at all.  I've been doing a lot of walking, and practicing binocular posture while doing that.  I'll really focus on looking off into the distance, minimizing diplopia, keeping a singular whole view of everything in front of me, keeping both visual channels (for both eyes) open, willing the information to pass through to my visual cortex, keeping my gaze soft, keeping motor control on for both eyes. 

It's a lot to think about, but it's becoming less thinking, and over time it's becoming more automatic.  I kind of figured out how to chunk all of these things into a single 'feeling'--so it's not as much mental effort as it sounds.  I've offloaded a huge amount of it into a single chunk.  Now I just have to keep building on that chunk.  

So I've been working on this chunk for quite a number of hours each day while I walk.  I'll periodically look down and at something like my hand, or feet in order to give my extra-ocular muscles a workout--my obliques in particular.  

Ophthalmoplegia | Diplopia, Cranial Nerve III & Oculomotor Palsy |  Britannica 

It's weird to think that you have a pair of muscles that control eye-torsion--that you can twist your eyes.  There's an excellent video about it here.  Once you understand it, it makes total sense. 

In addition to having esotropia, hypertropia, possible aniseikonia (one eye's image input looks larger than the other), I also had cyclodeviation (one of the eye's input is twisted compared to the other).  I wasn't sure how that was going to be fixed. 

Alas my persistence with all of this was enabled by my faith in my neuroplasticity, and of the plasticity of my visual system.  I was confident that if I gave my brain the right input, and trained it how to use the eyes in the right way, that my brain would sort out how to make sense of the input--regardless of how messed up that input was.  How did I untwist my visual input?  How did I correct the size of the visual input?  How did I correct all of those deviations?  Through an ungodly amount of persistence, experimentation, introspection, submerging my body in ice water, and frankly--it took balls.  As far as the details of how my brain did it, that's a great question.  Our bodies and brains are a freaking miracle.  That's how.

I feel like I've hit a huge milestone, and I have a much stronger grasp of how to use my eyes.  It feels damn good.  It feels damn good to know that I did this--but the sensation itself of using my eyes correctly is incredible.  It feels really freaking good.  And this is how normal people feel--lucky bastards.  I'm reminded of something Susan Barry said about her new vision after she gained permanent stereopsis at the age of 50, which is that people who have a normally developed visual system have no idea how great it is.  It's impossible for them to fully appreciate what a miracle it is.  I feel like I'm getting closer, day by day, to understanding what she meant by that.  I feel great to know that I finally know what I'm doing, and the rest is going to be easy.  Just gotta keep going, and enjoy the ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment