Thursday, July 14, 2022

Seeing massive improvement in the past two weeks. Reading is doing a lot of lifting.

 My vision has improved a lot in the past two weeks.  As mentioned in previous entries, I think my *special* reading (read: reading correctly) has contributed a lot to the improvement I've seen in recent weeks.  

Vision therapy these days consists of reading carefully with both eyes and VR (game called Pavlov VR--essentially Counterstrike, but in virtual reality).  

Reading really helps send the signal to the brain to put the right eye to work, and really seems to be doing quite a lot in terms of getting the eyes close to parity with one another (in terms of accommodation and signal power).  Then VR helps (I think) with integration through high-power binocular cues.  It doesn't hurt that it's also fun as hell.  

I try to read at least an hour per day.  Then on the weekends, I basically spend every spare moment I have reading--so around six hours per day on the weekends.  And as a consequence, I've seen quite a lot of improvement in reading as well as in normal everyday activity.  As mentioned in previous entries, reading correctly is a bit effortful (though it's getting easier), particularly when switching to use the right eye (because it's not as strong as the left eye). So I linger on the right eye a bit, to really stretch it and get as much info as possible.  

As a consequence of at least a month of this, this has gotten quite a bit easier (though there is still quite a lot to be gained).  My reading speed has actually improved quite a bit as a consequence of having recruited another eye.  It's freaking sweet.  I'm now doing fewer awkward saccades.  Yes, this is how normal people read.  The habit has carried into everyday activity as well.  The double images have come together quite a bit in the past few weeks, especially when I'm looking at collections of objects, on say, a countertop.  I can now almost pay attention to both images simultaneously and get details about them and almost infer depth.  It is definitely trippy.  It is definitely exciting.  The reading I do is still challenging, which tells me that there's still more to be gained by doing it.  I'm going to ride it out and see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment