Saturday, June 18, 2022

How will life be different post-stereopsis?

That's how well things are going.  My vision has improved so much recently, that I'm wondering how my life will be different after I've gained stereopsis.  

One thing I've been thinking about is that I will probably be less likely to engage in risky, dangerous behavior.  This is because my nervous system will soon experience a massive upgrade, after 12 years of deliberate work.  What if I went mountain biking, took a gnarly spill, got a head injury, and somehow lost my vision that I worked so hard for?  

Heh, I recently bought one of those Onewheels, which apparently are pretty dangerous.  I'm definitely going to take it easy.  

I've always been a risktaker, especially when riding my e-bike... thing is freaking dangerous how easy it is to go fast on it.  Thank god for mineral oil disc brakes.  I think the worst thing a person can do is live a dull, boring, and uninspiring life.  We're so lucky to be alive.  I view it as a tragedy to not take risks and do interesting things with one's life: a terrible wasted opportunity.  

Now, when I have massively upgraded hardware, I am undoubtedly going to much more highly value my body and brain.  I am still going to take risks, and go for rides on the e-bike, and Onewheel.  I'll be using the helmet, as always.  But am I going to go as fast as I did pre-stereopsis?  One wonders.  Probably not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment