Saturday, June 18, 2022

Damn, I'm close

It certainly feels like I'm very close to fusion.  I think that last change I made (described in previous blog entries--essentially reading books in a particular way) made a huge difference.

The activities that are really doing the heavy lifting these days are playing in VR, and reading books. 

I think they're both doing different things.  Reading books in a very careful and deliberate way really seemed to improve the vision on the right eye--like, the text has gotten bigger, and sharper--the input has just gotten better when reading text with the right eye--and make no mistake--it is a workout, which tells you something.  It's something that needed to be done.  I'm not sure by exactly what mechanism it improved--whether it improved mechanically, or neurologically--probably both.  But the improvement is indeed there.  And interestingly, I've noticed I've taken this habit of reading in this way with me in other activities--not reading books, but reading text in general--even the text I'm reading now as I write this.  That is, after all, what vision therapy is all about.  If you do vision therapy exercises, and don't use the knowledge you've gained through them and apply them in the daily routine, then it's sort of all for nothing.  

And indeed I did have a strange and unusual experience a few days ago when the right eye input was actually better than it was on the left eye.  Man.  The visual system is so weird.  What a trip.   

So I think the reading is really my brain yanking my right eye and telling it to get to work.

And then playing in virtual reality does another thing, which is integrating the input of both eyes.  There's something about the input and high-power stereo cues one gets from playing in VR that really helps with integrating input from both eyes.  

Anyway.  I'm amazed at how much recent improvement I've seen.  It's really.. I don't have fusion yet, but it's trippy because I can see objects from both angles now, and the double images are coming pretty close.  Particularly notable is that this is true for objects even when I switch from one place to another--like, I have pretty good coordination.  So... it's all very exciting.  I mean, I'm excited.  

No comments:

Post a Comment