Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Regret

I've been thinking about regret lately: regret about a huge amount of time that may have been wasted because I never tried out another vision therapist.  

Okay, I did kind of have two vision therapists.  One was at Aspire Vision for about a year.  Then another was Tuan Tran.  I did not take Tuan's advice.  His advice was that I should get some prism glasses, which would make it easier for me to achieve fusion.  This would then cause my brain to prefer fusion even more, which would then cause my brain to straighten out the eyes.  That's a well known principle in vision therapy.  It's referred to as the sensory fusion approach to vision therapy.

The reason I'm thinking about this now, is because I've bulldozed my way to the currently point where I am, where it's kind of as though I'm using prisms.  My eyes have improved so much through an unreasonable amount of effort and persistence that they can get their corresponding images (kind of faux fusion) on top of each other nearly all of the time.  

I've been thinking a lot that with vision therapy, you can kind of substitute technique with sheer tenacity and doggedness.  That's true with a lot of things, frankly.  Do I have regret about not getting another vision therapist and listening to them?  Kind of, and also kind of no.  I almost think the prism glasses wouldn't have helped.   Maybe they would have.  Maybe not.  But I've been burned in the past.  Of course, they can look at my situation now and say 'if you listened to me, or got a vision therapist, you could have saved a TON of time.'.  Of course.  Of course. Of course it might have.  Then, of course, it might not have.  And who pays the price if it doesn't?  It's just such a crapchute.  It is what it is. 

So do I have regret?  Not so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment