Thursday, August 25, 2022

My dioplopia (double vision) is basically gone

Not entirely.  It's there... almost 100% of the time.  It's just... mostly unnoticeable--because the double images are so close to one another. 

About two weeks ago or so I was very excited by the fact that the double images for far away objects were very close to one another.  Now, they're basically on top of one another.  The double vision is gone. 

It's an extremely exciting time for me.   This is, by far, the most exciting time in my life.  My nervous system is about to get a giant upgrade.  And it will be a permanent upgrade that I will have for the rest of my life.  Even when I'm a crusty 70-year old, I will be a crusty 70-year old who has stereopsis, and who has way better vision than he had when he was 13 years old. 

My vision has improved so much, it's amazing.  Objects are so vivid.  I still don't have stereopsis, but I feel that it is coming.  Maybe 2-3 more months--maybe sooner.  I feel like things are accelerating, due to the fact that I no longer have visual conflict: my eyes are now basically pointing at the same spot in space.  Now my brain is able to say 'hey, we can use this input now'.  So now the circuit is widening to allow in more information from the lazy eye.  I think the binocular neurons are getting primed, and are now taking up more real estate in the brain.  

In the past few days I've noticed some significant ringing in my ears.  This is tinnitus.  I've always had some small level of tinnitus, and it gets louder and quieter at certain points in my life.  I think this is normal.  It's a natural consequence of the way our brains work.  Basically, it's 'noise' from neurons that are nearby the auditory neurons.  I wonder if all of the activity and rewiring my brain is doing right now is causing it.  

Man, I want to nap.  But I told a friend I'd meet her for dinner soon... this is unbelievably exciting.  It's almost unbearable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment