Saturday, March 26, 2016

Progress with fixation cards

Things have been going really well with the fixation cards.  I've been doing it basically every day.

I just bought a house so I've been busy with a lot of things, so I skipped some days here and there with vision therapy.

Today I've noticed very significant progress with the fixation cards.  I can get pretty good divergence with the baseball.  That is, I can get them on top of one another fairly easily.  It was pretty surprising.

Still no depth.  But I think I need the accommodation to be in sync--for both pairs of images to be clear in order for that to happen.  It hasn't yet happened, but I do feel the beginning of what I expect will be depth, and that it's going to get stronger and stronger as I get better at the exercise.

It's great seeing progress.  I made quite a lot of progress with the Brock String and now I'm making good progress with the fixation cards.  And I have noticed improvement in vision outside of the exercise as well.  I just feel like I'm using both eyes more and more.

Sometimes it's difficult to pay attention through both eyes simultaneously--to know whether the image is clear or not--but I'm getting better.  My ability to focus on the activity is improving as well.  Mental focus on what I'm doing is a huge part of the exercise.

Normally I fix with the left eye, and then work to fix with the right eye at the same time.  The right eye image is blurry when I do this, and when I diverge to superimpose the double images.  I'll pull card away and this will do something to make it clearer, but then I bring it closer while simultaneously trying to keep it clear.  I sort of move it back and forth, observe the changes and feeling of eye muscles as I try track the images and try to keep them both sharp and focused.  I think this helps.  Then sometimes I will straight-up fix with the right eye, just so I know what focused looks like.  Focused and full-on accommodated for each eye is slightly different.  But I do this so I don't lose sight of what the goal is: both eyes should be fully accommodating.

Not sure when I'm going to achieve my goals.  But I'll keep going.  The VT doesn't take up that might time.  I'll keep doing it for as long as it makes sense--although I'm confident that powerful new technologies will arrive for vision rehabilitation in the coming years.  I'll have it someday, in the meantime it's just about not letting it dominate my life and maintaining a good balanced approach.  Try to get as much out of each individual session as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment