Sunday, January 12, 2014

#210 session: squashing the remaining out-of-sync accommodation problem

I woke up this morning to a pleasant surprise.  I slept a lot--9 hours.  When I looked down at my left foot the double images were superimposed.  The double images are still a bit loose and not yet locked down, which means there's still a bit of work to do, but substantial progress was made last week in terms of alignment.

That also coincided with something that I noticed when doing saccades.  When I've made substantial progress with saccades, in general, I do notice that it's a little jarring when I do them.  When I stick a perfect landing on target with both eyes.  It's a bit like 'whoa.'.

What's changed?  I think it was last week in my hotel (I had to travel for training for my job) that I realized something that I was seeing when I looked into the light tube.  I thought I had already defeated the out-of-sync accommodation problem, but as other aspects of my vision improved, the small amount of accommodation mismatch revealed itself once again.  But this time it's so small it feels like I should be able to snuff it out with cooking gloves.

To tend to that, I've been doing the same light tube movement exercise where I focus on the feeling of the muscles, making it bright, and avoiding diplopia.  But now I also focus on squelching blurriness, which is a result of one of the eyes not wanting to be on the same page as the other.  It's actually kind of interesting, because it's very natural to, when paying attention to something that you're looking at, to want to accommodate and put it into focus.  So when the circle goes a little out of focus (it's very subtle), I have to determine which eye is doing it, pay attention to it, but then also try to pay attention to the other eye simultaneously--otherwise the other eye will then go out of focus.  So there are quite a few things to pay attention to.  It's not a boring workout.

This natural and obvious connection between accommodation and attention seems to be key to gaining access to the last bit of motor control.  You can only have truly good motor control with an eye when it is accommodating to the best of its ability.  Because if you're not doing that, then you're not really paying attention through that eye.  And attention is everything.

Since I made this adjustment and realization, motor control very substantially improved over the week. At least in terms of light tube movement exercises, I'm very close to fusing.

What else... I made an adjustment to my regimen.  I found this little guy in a box in my room from about two years ago.  My old vision therapist gave him to me.  I track him around my field of vision for about five minutes, doing figure-8s, going far and close, and stretching the limits where mobility isn't the best (top and to the right).  It occurred to me that I should do this in addition to Bouncy because doing this really allows me to use my entire visual field and I'm not confined to the monitor.  Bouncy is still good though because the smooth movements are not easily duplicated even by hand--or finger... monster.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment